Genesect, The Paleozoic Pokémon. This ancient bug Pokémon existed 300 million years ago before Team Plasma altered it. They upgraded it and attached a cannon to its back.
This week we're going Team Plasma's mad science experiment, Genesect, in honor of its anniversary event this month. Which is totally fine by me because Genesect is basically Pokémon's own Terminator. It even looks the part and everything. Unlike its science fiction movie counterpart though it's not a cyborg from the future. According to the lore its actually an ancient Bug Pokémon that Team Plasma rediscovered and made part machine..Anyways thanks to Download, Genesect is one of the most effective Choice Scarf revenge killers in the game today. With Download its U-turns hit ridiculously hard and it gets some much needed KO's on most Xerneas variants with Iron Head and boosted Rayquazas with its Ice Beam. Even bulkier threats while harder to take down will be not enjoy being dented by its U-turn and or any of its moves to be honest, and with Genesect on your side the momentum of the battle is always going to be in your favor if you use it properly Which pretty much makes it a must have in any format where it's allowed to be played. I do however wish Genesect had been blessed with just a little bit more speed so it wasn't tied down to its revenge killer niche, but maybe it's for the best.
+ Solid stats all across the board
+ widely diverse movepool including several event moves such as Extremespeed, Blaze Kick, and Shift Gear.
+ Plus its own signature move Techno Blast that changes Type depending on what kind of Drive your Genesect is holding
+ one of the most effective Scarf revenge killers in the game today thanks to its ability Download.
- It wishes it was faster. Base 99 Spe means that it has to heavily rely on its Choice Scarf unfortunately
- Which also means it can't really make use of its signature move because it would have to give up its Choice Scarf for a Drive instead
- Lack of reliable recovery moves in addition to all of that means it has virtually no chance of breaking out of its Revenge Killer role and being an effective sweeper as well
Download: Attack is increased when the foe’s Defense is lower than its Special Defense or increases Special Attack when the foe’s Special Defense is lower than its Defense. Obviously this is awesome because it can boost Genesect's Atk or SpA. It has the potential to make your U-turns hit like a truck, and it makes our friend an excellent Scarf revenge killer in any metagame.
- Iron Head
- Ice Beam
Item Attached: Choice Scarf
EVs and Nature:
248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Its powerful Download boosted U-turns are pretty much Genesect's main niche, being able to apply offensive pressure and keep the momentum on your side all at the same. Iron Head serves as Genesect's secondary STAB option, being able to revenge kill Mega Diancie and some Xerneas variants. Ice Beam is the primary method for for our friend to revenge kill a boosted Rayquaza and is a nice option against other Dragon and Ground Types. Explosion has immense utility on most teams, as Genesect can do massive damage to most things that will inevitably threaten your team. Especially with a Download boost.
- Technoblast: A very powerful special attack that changes type depending on what Drive your Genesect is holding. It's a great move, but unfortunately Genesect really needs it Choice Scarf to be effective, and thus it can't afford to sacrifice its item slot for a Drive to make use of Technoblast.
- Shift Gear: A power move that raises Genesect's Atk by one stage while simultaneously raising Genesect's Spe by two stages. It doesn't get alot of opportunities to set up in the metagames Genesect sees action in unfortunately though and it's not worth sacrificing coverage for. Plus Genesect really need to be able to revenge kill the likes of Latios and Latias immediately.
- Extremespeed: a solid physic Normal Type priority move. It's useful for obvious reasons since Genesect's main purpose is revenge killing.
- Blaze Kick: It's a solid other option for terminating some steel types more efficiently.
It should be noted though that Blaze Kick, Extremespeed, and Shift Gear all require a Hasty Nature because they're only obtainable through an event.
Well you won't have to send another Terminator from the future back through time to eliminate Genesect. It has plenty of problems and threats to contend with. Like most Choice users if it gets hit by a Will-O-Wisp or a Thunder Wave it will be pretty much useless. Your only option at that point is using Explosion or U-turning out and sacrificing it later to save a team mate. There's also not alot it can do to most other Steel Types in the metagame it sees action in even if you're packing Blaze Kick or Flamethrower or something. Aegislash in particular will punish your Choice locked attacks with its King's Shield move, and it can't really do much to Skarmory or Dialga. Oh and there's the incredibly powerful Bulky Fire Types that are running rampant. Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh are extremely popular and will have no trouble soaking up your Download boosted U-turns and your other moves, and they can turn around KO you with a 4 x super effect Fire Type move and utterly destroy you. There's a whole lot more , but those are the most common ones. I wish you the best of luck trainers. Train on!
Locations in Games
Not in game
Not in game
Not in game
Not in game
Not in game
Black 2/White 2:
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire:
Genesect has made a few appearances in the anime. In its main appearance, it and four other Genesect were awoken by Team Plasma and then went to find their home